The Award Categories for 2017 are:
- Buildings up to 3-storey - Residential, schools, commercial, factories, warehousing, industrial, etc.
- Buildings more than 3-storey - Office building, multi-family housing, etc.
- Flatwork - Slabs, paving, hardscape, etc.
- Infrastructure - Bridges, roads, water resources, marine structures, power, transportation, etc.
- Innovation in Concrete - Initiatives where totally new materials, techniques, technologies, applications, designs, and/or concepts, using concrete as the principal material have been developed or utilized.
- Architectural Concrete - Use of concrete as the principal construction material, demonstrating a unique and exceptional structure, surface finishes or particular detail, in an aesthetic manner.
- Mining - Special or unusual concrete applications within the mining sector, both above and below ground.
The Fulton Awards began as a tribute to the late Dr Sandy Fulton for his outstanding contribution to the understanding of concrete, its development, and improvement. Sandy Fulton was unquestionably one of the doyens of the international concrete industry with impressive achievements in research contained in 35 published papers. He left a legacy of scientific and technological advances in the construction industry.
The Fulton Awards continue as a celebration of the life and achievements of this remarkable South African.
Through the Fulton Awards, the Concrete Society recognizes and honours excellence and innovation in the design use of concrete. The Awards are made symbolically to the structure/initiative and are presented to the entire team responsible for its construction, including the owner, developer, all professionals, and the contractors.
The prestigious Fulton Awards are held every second year. These awards, in the different categories, honour excellence in the concrete construction industry and have a long history of involvement in many major projects completed in southern Africa. It is the highlight in our calendar, to present these coveted awards at a special gala function.
The winners will receive their awards at a special Gala Dinner held as part of the Fulton Awards Weekend from the 2-4 June 2017, at the Champagne Sports Resort, Drakensberg.